With so many different nationalities in school we are very lucky to be able to celebrate a huge variety of national days. Term 2 is a busy time for the kitchens, as we celebrate our truly international and multicultural student population with not one but five national days! Our second national day of the term is New Zealand Day!
The New Zealand public holiday of Waitangi Day is celebrated on 6th February.
On the 6th February 1840, representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Maori chiefs signed what is known as the New Zealand founding document.
The Treaty made New Zealand a part of the British Empire, guaranteed Maori rights to their land and gave Maori the rights of British citizens.
Did you know?
The New Zealand flag is a symbol of the realm, government and people of New Zealand.
The royal blue background is from the ensign of the Blue Squadron of the Royal Navy. The Union Jack symbolises the historical origins of New Zealand as a British colony and dominion. Similar to the Australian flag, the stars of the Southern Cross emphasise the country’s location in the South Pacific Ocean.
Fun Facts about New Zealand
- Wellington is the southernmost capital in the world.
- The steepest residential street in the world is called Baldwin Street in Dunedin. It has a gradient of 38 degrees!
- Baron Ernest Rutherford, the first person to split the atom in 1919 was a New Zealander.
- Sign language is one of the 3 official languages in New Zealand. English and Maori being the other 2.
- New Zealand was the first country to allow women to vote, in 1893!
- The clearest lake in the world is Nelson's Blue Lake, with a visibility of up to 80m deep.
- There are 9 sheep to every person in New Zealand, making it the highest ratio in the world.
The following New Zealand themed meals will be available in the canteen:
Tangy Chicken with Corn, Mash and Sauce (A)
Fish and Chips with Salad (W)
Baked Chickpea Burger with Wedges and Salad (V)
Baked Fish and Chips with Watercress and Kiwi Salad (W)
Braised Lamb with Steamed Vegetables and Mashed Potato (A)
Penne and Cheese With Watercress Kiwi Salad (V)